Art at the Institute, the visual arts programming division of The Ukrainian Institute of America, presented its first exhibition of the Spring season on Friday evening, March 23, with an opening reception introducing eloquent landscape paintings, titled Silence, by Kyiv-based contemporary artist Oleksiy Lytvynenko.
Art at the Institute was pleased to present Five Elements of War, an installation of multimedia artworks by Ukrainian artist-activists Daria Marchenko and Daniel Green depicting their critical commentary on and reaction to the recognized causes, turmoil and consequences of the ongoing Russian military aggression and war waged in eastern Ukraine.
Julia Blue was shot entirely in Ukraine and beautifully depicts the country and her people in the post-Maidan era. It is the first American Independent narrative feature film to be entirely shot in Ukraine with an all Ukrainian cast and crew. The team is currently in the final stages of finishing the film and preparing for a top US festival world premiere in 2018.
With the end of World War II, William Dzus founded the Ukrainian Institute of America in 1948, for the purpose of promoting Ukrainian art, culture, music, and literature in the United States. At that time, the Ukrainian Institute was located in the Parkwood Mansion in West Islip. With increasing membership and growth, Dzus authorized Francis Clarke, treasurer of the Dzus Fastener Company, to look for new, larger quarters in New York City. The capacious Fletcher-Sinclair Mansion, with its prestigious address and unique architectural style, was purchased in 1955 by the Ukrainian Institute of America, with the generous support of William Dzus.
The Shevchenko Scientific Society, the Ukrainian Academy of Arts and Sciences in the U.S. and the Ukrainian Institute of America are pleased to sponsor an international conference in commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of the Ukrainian Revolution and the Proclamation of Ukraine’s Independence to be held on Saturday, January 20, at the Shevchenko Scientific Society, and Sunday, January 21, 2018 at the Ukrainian Institute of America.
Born on this day in 1722, he was educated at the Kyiv Mohyla Academy. Hryhoriy spent over 10 years in Kharkiv, teaching poetics, syntax, Greek, and ethics. After his dismissal from the college, he abandoned any hope of securing a regular position and spent the rest of his life wandering about eastern Ukraine. Financial support from friends enabled him to devote himself to reflection and writing. Most of his works were dedicated to his friends and circulated among them in manuscript copies.